Monday, August 4, 2008

:LIFE: A crazy, but profitable weekend...

What a weekend!

We were scrabbling to get everything ready for our rummage this past weekend, but we made it. I took the afternoon off on Friday, so that I could get all the last minute stuff in line.

My mom, brother & sister-in-law, and several friends all brought stuff over in addition to our own, so we had A LOT of stuff. The garage was full and we spilled out onto our driveway and half of our front lawn. We figure if you're going to do it, you might as well do it BIG!

We do this every'd think they would get smaller, but they seem to keep getting bigger! :-)

Since we knew we'd have a lot of outdoor set up to do, Justin actually put up caution tape around the perimeter of our driveway and yard this year so that we could actually get things in order before the early birds began to swoop in, but boy did they circle anyway.

We listed 5 p.m. as our start time in the paper and people were already stopping by 3:15 p.m.!!

By the time we were ready to open (a little before 5 p.m., I might add), there were people lined up all along the front side of the caution tape along our sidewalk!

In general, I LOVE holding rummages. It's a great way to purge, make a little money while doing it and we always end up seeing people we haven't see for awhile.

However, if I had to name one thing I DON'T like about rummages, it's the rude early birds. If they simply stop and ask what time we're opening, go on their way and come back later, that's not a problem...most people are very nice.

It's the ones that hover impatiently and make rude comments like we're inconveniencing them in some grand way because we're not opening an hour and a half ahead of time just for them. UGH!
I really meant to take pictures before we started, but it was all just so hectic and those few rude early birds had me so frazzled, I totally forgot. It honestly looked a little more like an auction than a rummage sale!

We were open for about 9 hours total between Friday evening and Saturday morning/early afternoon and the final count was about $1,300. Not too shabby! We sold a lot of stuff...but there's still quite a bit left.

So, I may get another chance to get those pictures 'cause we're just crazy enough to give it another go this weekend. Justin actually has more stuff he didn't have time/room to put out last time and so does my sister-in-law Barb. I 'spose I could probably find a few more things too if I try. :-)

It's the city-wide rummage this weekend, so hopefully it will bring some hard-core rummagers to town and we'll have another good run. We're praying for another weekend of good weather.
:LIFE: A crazy, but profitable weekend...SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend